Admission to the MolE PhD Program
The MolE program does not require students to have a degree in a particular discipline, but does require the student hold a BS/BA degree in the field of engineering or natural sciences. The program accepts students with diverse backgrounds in engineering, science, or medicine, helping match their research interests with Institute faculty from departments in the College of Arts & Sciences, the School of Medicine, the College of Engineering, and the School of Pharmacy.
To be considered, an applicant must:
- Posses a BS/BA degree in the field of engineering or natural sciences.
- Have passed at least one undergraduate college course in Thermodynamics and/or Statistical Mechanics.
- Have scored at least 159 on the quantitative portion of the GRE.
- Note: Non Native Speakers of English must score at least 92 (internet-based) on the TOEFL. Additional evidence of English proficiency, such as high GRE verbal and analytical writing scores will strengthen the application, as will evidence of ability to carry out independent research. We refer to Memo 15 for more specifics of the Graduate School English language proficiency requirements.
- International candidates are strongly encouraged to review the UW Graduate School FAQ for International Students.
We strongly prefer that students apply for Autumn Quarter (September) admission. The following timetable applies:
- January 15 – Applicants urged to have submitted all required materials. Late applications will be processed if complete, but are at a disadvantage.
- Late January – Application review begins and continues, usually until mid-March. Offers made as top applicants are identified.
- NOTE: At this time (May 2014), we have filled all of our available slots for Autumn 2014 admission.
Applications are only accepted on-line, and are completed via the University of Washington Graduate Admissions site.
The general steps for the online application process:
- Go to the UW Grad School application site:
- If you have not already done so, create a Login ID and password.
- Follow the application instructions through the Graduate School web site.
- Fill out the on-line application form.
- Online recommendations: Type in the 3 recommender’s names. Make sure you have selected “Online.” Once you submit the names, your recommenders will receive an automatic email telling them which web site to go to for uploading or copy-and-pasting the recommendation(s). After they have submitted the recommendation, you will then receive an email stating that the recommendation process has been completed. You can monitor the status of each recommendation on the application web site.
- You must upload your unofficial transcripts into the application. We do not accept paper transcripts.
- Upload your statement of purpose.
- Upload your CV.
- Complete the online process by paying the application fee using your credit or debit card and submitting the on-line application.
- You will then receive payment confirmation.
GRE scores should be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to the Office of Graduate Admissions: (Use UW GRE code = 4854 only.) Please request registration forms or previous score reports from the Educational Testing Service (http://www.ets.org). Scores must be less than 5 years old.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – Please see University of Washington Graduate Admissions website for details. Only official TOEFL scores may be submitted.
Questions? Contact the MolE Ph.D. Academic Advisor.